Friday, November 4, 2011

PLASTIQUE -- A VEST

Plastique

Rajasthan Plastic Bags
Chinese Caligraphy
Treasures from Cairo
Arabic and English on Egyptian Bag
Design Element Bag from Ashland, Oregon
Great Turban

    For many years I have been saving unique colorful plastic bags. 
I love these bags because they are full of great memories of our journeys to our favorite places.

My Egyptian bags always remind me of our years living in Cairo.  The Ashland, Oregon fabric shop bag is covered with brilliant colored dots and stripes.  And the unique calligraphy on the Chinese bags fascinates me. 

      I just couldn’t put them in the recycle bin.  They hold value for me.  Thus, they are carefully packed, almost spilling out of my favorite handcrafted Mexican sewing studio basket. Some day I’ll find a use for them. 

     One day that some day did arrive!  Yakima Allied Arts announced a special juried art show…Trash to Treasures.  This was the call that my bags were waiting for.  I don’t think of my bags as items of trash.  But, due to the way we produce them and use them in most parts of the world, they become trash and ruin landscapes, resources, and lives.  My goal for the project was to create another purpose for my humble bags and let their beauty shine.  I knew it would be a wearable piece.

     I went to my basket of treasured bags and found those with the most unique designs and colors.  Sorting through and touching my delightful collection inspired visions of many potential creations: a jacket, hat, purse, large shopping bag, or a vest… What would I make?

Process, technique, materials.












No comments:

Post a Comment