Friday, November 4, 2011

A PASSION FOR FABRIC

Shidong China Festival
                                                              Shidong China Festival
                                    Guizhou Textile Artist


Fabric has fascinated me ever since I was able to hold scissors.  I can still feel the excitement of that first moment when I cut soft flannel into pieces for baby clothes.  My early interests in fabric were boosted by a strong 4-H sewing program in my hometown,Yakima, Washington, and a mother who supported my sewing energy.


My fascination for fiber took on international dimensions when I participated in a student exchange program in Guatemala, Peace Corps service in the Chilean Andes, and cultural study grants in Pakistan, Bolivia, and Guatemala.  I was impressed by the native women artisans in these areas dyeing, weaving and embroidering complex and exotic designs.  As a history teacher I used ethnic clothing to provide tactile connections in order to better visualize the regions of study.


Textile collage incorporating fragments of cloth from every possible source, particularly from ethnic fabrics, characterizes my wearable creations.  The intricate and beautiful fiber work of peoples from all over our planet – embroidery of the Miao and Dong People of Southwest China and Tribal Areas of the Middle East, shibori of Japan, India and China, weaving of the Maya and Andean regions, and batik from many areas – inspires me to design my own clothing to honor the works of these passionate and talented artisans.


I would never have imagined that fiber art would be such a wonderful companion in my life.  It encourages me to explore the varieties of thinking and living in our dynamic world.  I love to view creations of other minds and hands, past and present.  The energy and thought that combine forms, colors, materials, sounds, and movements to produce painting, apparel, structures or sonatas fascinates me.


People always ask me what I do with my wearable pieces.  After showing them in exhibitions and shows, I share them with family, friends, and donate them to community programs and activities for fund raising.


I appreciate the sense of freedom that art embodies to allow me to tell a story with fiber and stitching.  How glorious it is to be in my studio with piles of beautiful fabric everywhere, ideas of different cultures and techniques flying through my head and a passion to explore the many possibilities of cloth and create a unique structure with my own hands.  It is a joy.


My love of fabric stimulates me to continue exploring new lands and techniques.  My husband and I are currently getting ready to travel to southern regions of Yunnan Province, bordering Burma, Laos, and Vietnam.  There I hope to visit villages of the Dai, Hani, Jinuo, Yi, Aini, Lisu, Zhuang and Miao peoples. Hopefully, my blog at nomadsally on blogspot will share our adventures.



Yi Jacket Sleeve
Yi Jacket
 Y


















My Akha Hat 

Guatemalan Zigzag


Plastique - From Plastic Bags



Shibori III



Winter Flowers

Miao

Gram Black's Stash

Sally's Shibori

No comments:

Post a Comment