Friday, June 22, 2012

A Quilt Quartet

A QUILT QUARTET


  What in the world is a Quilt Quartet? 




                 Zip Into Spring
Fall - Lime





           














     In the Pink
Summer - Pink









     
Fall Fantasy





Winter Joy





     The Quilt Quartet project was initiated by several members of our Anything Goes Quilters as a group project.  Each person could make  12 x 12 quilts representing the four seasons with designated colors as illustrated above.

    The concept was appealing to me, but, not being a quilter, rather intimidating.  Where to begin was the question.  My creative mentor had gone off on a jaunt and my mind was a blank design wall.  It just happened that my Quilting Arts magazine had arrived.  Leafing through the pages I came across the perfect source of technique.  The article entitled Stitch Therapy inspired me to begin.  I certainly did need some kind of therapy!

     Spring with color lime was my first goal.  Creating groups of strip sets with lime as a dominant hue, I was launched.    I began sewing, slicing, dicing, and recombining the strips as seen below.


     
     Now, I could easily see how to proceed.  I also decided to call upon the family yoyo collection to embellish each season's creation.  Note the design at the bottom of square.  It is a wonderful technique created by the Seminole people of South Florida in the 1800's.  I love to use it because the results are always a surprise.  And, I love the unpredictable.



       The title comes from the zipper which serves as the flower base....


     I was so happy with Zip Into Spring....... 




 that I decided to attack the summer pink 12 x 12 quilt.




The yoyos fit right into  In the Pink
     Note the seminole patchwork on the vase.....just a bit of variation on a theme.


    The quilting energy continued with Autumn.  Mustard did challenge me a bit so I went to Safeway to check out the mustard colors.....




What a variety of colors!







     The family yoyos had another home.


























 





Details of  Fall Fantasy




     Here it is.  Fall Fantasy



  By this time I was getting totally burned out.  My husband insisted that I let it go for awhile.

                                    So I took a break!


     Not for long though.....A yoyo wreath kept me enchanted and I was having yoyo dreams day and night.  If you've ever experience it, you know what I'm talking about.
      The challenge for winter proved to be creating a background with an exciting turquoise dominance.
  Voila!  Use my Stitch Therapy  group of strip sets: slice, dice, and recombine.  Yes, that was the answer!  I felt like Christopher Columbus discovering a new world.  Using the familiar technique was even more fun  the  second time around.



     Note the strips coming together.  It's a great way to use remnants and   Very theraputic


Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!
     
     Winter Joy came to life and I was delighted with the results....
    


The Quilt Quartet in final form...  Now, I can get back to playing with my free form anything goes style!










 If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to contact me.....I'd love to hear from you.  Nomad Sally.

1 comment:

  1. Sally - these are incredible! So beautiful, full of color, whimsy, and life - just like you! I love the yo-yos. Do you collect them? Wow, what treasures they are. Your use and placement of them are stunning. I don't know how you do it. Your creativity and productivity are inspiring. Wish I could buy those in an elixir and dose myself every day! Peggy

    ReplyDelete