Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Experimenting with Knits

Entering the Knit World




Marcy and Katherine Tilton's Knits


Marcy's Pattern with Fabrics

     It seems that the world of fabrics is being taken over by the comfortable and very adaptable knits.  And I want to become a part of that life.  I love so many of the stylish and colorful leggings, sport clothes, and fashion that is appearing in the apparel market these days.   I just love the wonderful wear by the Canadian company, Lulu Lemon and others.  So, now is my time to play with knits.

     My plan of action began with the purchase of an array of coordinated colors with polka dots and stripes at the Marcy Tilton       booth at Sewing Expo in Puyallup, Washington.  While there I also sat in on several Knit How -To mini-classes.  After finding some simple basic patterns, I was ready to launch my Make-It-With-Knits period. 

     The first experiment was the construction of a shrug from two different black patterned knits.  I encountered one frustrating element which was the border pleating instructions.  I had to redo the piece two times.  Then, I discovered that the easiest way to create the pleats with such flimsy fabric was to sew the outer band together and then add the pleats.   






Imagine that it's a Shrug. 


     A Pilates outfit was to be the first project attempted.  With a great Burda pattern #7520,  selecting the fabric design, and reading the knit note instructions from my technique notebook, I was read to begin cutting.  

     The assembling and sewing was relatively easy.  I found that the zigzag stitch worked best for seaming because it allowed more stretch and flexability.  The microknit machine needle was the smoothest choice and there was no need for a serger which made me happy.  The knit advantages was the easy fit, no need for hems in some cases, and the forgiving nature of the fabric.  

     My first  Pilates top and pants outfit was so much fun and fast that I moved right into another more mod outfit.  I was able to make a poka dot top, two contrasting legging bottoms, and a headband from left over fabrics.   Marcy Tilton's Vogue pattern #8582 was perfect for style and fit.  Then, I got adventurous with the bottoms, making variations of pattern and color as you can see in the photos.



Headband and Top

Top with Pair of Pants


My Bozo Pants

Great combos for fun






     Now, I am dreaming of the green and black stripe double weave knit with a contrasting green sweater weave fabric.  Am looking forward to using the stripes as a design elements






The Next Challenge!











No comments:

Post a Comment