Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back in the Fiber Studio


     Settling into the Yakima life is taking time.  Right now all I want to do is reflect on the journey and start the creative juices in my studio.  I want to finish the apron gifts for daughter, Katie, and her two daughters picitured above.  But, first let's look at the loot from SE Asia.

Treasures of the Journey
Thai and Lao Fabric Purchases

Antique Sam Neua Weaving in Silk

      As you can see the treasures found in Thailand and Laos and are now in my studio fit in a small package -- nevertheless, they are incredible pieces of weaving and embroidery.  The piece in the right hand corner is an antique silk brocade woven mosquito net border from the eastern part of Laos called Sam Neua.  Each design section ( there are at least 20 of them) is a unique pattern and color.  The colors are soft and of natural dyes.  The silk is worked from the silk worm and mulberry tree leaf diet and then processed for weaving ( a huge undertaking). 


Thai Dam Weave Design 

     The cotton fabric piece (sarong length) is from the Thai Dam ethnic minority group which lives in northern Thailand and in Laos.  These weavers combine the ikat design which you see in the indigo blue sections.  The other geometric designed panels are created from a complex supplemental warp design (also called brocade weaving).   Having worked at a loom  in the Andean region during the Peace Corps (50 years ago), I thought that I would be able to manipulate their looms. Unfortunately, with four additional heddles which change at every row, the task was way beyond my experience.   Of course, these weavers started at an early age helping their mothers and learning the techniques and patterns.  And, they have spent many days of their lives at the loom. Observing them at work, I felt a certain meditative atmosphere as they create their fabric.  I loved watching them perform such beautiful work.

     Unfortunately,  this art is changing fast.  Young girls go to school, explore the internet instead of learn about the art of weaving.   I saw only two younger women working on looms during our entire journey. Change is inevitable!  It is comparable to sewing in our own western culture.  Very few people sew anymore.  In fact, many of our young people don't have the slightest idea about sewing on a button.  With the schools eliminating sewing and home skill classes, we will have even fewer people with knowledge and skill of sewing.

     I am so delighted that I learned the technical aspects of sewing at a young age.  And then to have discovered in my 40's  that I really love creating and playing with all kinds of fabrics in my wonderful studio.  What joy!

      Today, I am finishing the Christmas aprons for the Boston girls (daughter, Katie and her daughters, Winona and Delila).  Note the hand print of each little girl embroidered on the apron. Almost every fabric and trim that you see is in the pix below has come from the little girls' Great Great Grandmother Black (Jim's Grandmother) who was a fabulous quilter.

Thank you, Gram Black!

Delila's Apron

Winona's Apron











No comments:

Post a Comment