Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vientiene, Laos

Eating breakfast at our Souphaphone Guesthouse. Fried egg sunny side up, two hot dogs, two pieces of white bread toasted, kool-aid orange juice, nescafe, banana, and dragon fruit. I went out earlier to the French cafe for a croissant. No more guest house breakfast here. But the place is excellent in every other respect and brand new.

Jim has had a cold so we have been resting and reading. Today we plan to go to the Talat Sao central market. I find it difficult to learn about the styles of the different ethnic groups.

At last I have found my source of older tribal pieces - in the nooks and crannies of the huge Talat Sao market complex. Today I spent most of my time with a woman from the San Neua Eastern region, right by the Vietnam border. Here are located at least eight different ethnic groups. I found some beautiful small weavings in golden browns and indigo for 150,000 Kip (3 for $18). I was seeing the same ones in shops around here for $10-40 each.in addition this woman named phengphath Boupha can share information. I am thrilled.

We continue to find fabulous food here- French, Lao, Thai, Vietnamese. Incredible papaya salads, spicy soups, great fish, crepes...

No comments:

Post a Comment