Wednesday, November 10, 2010

More adventures in Nong Khai

     Every morning at 5:00 we hear the bell chiming from the wats. There are so many wats here-more than other parts of Thailand. Nobody knows why. This NE region is also the poorest if the land, but rates the highest on the happiness scale. Read that material stuff isn't so valued and people look inside for their peace.
My big cup of filtered coffee has been delivered to me as I sit here looking at the Mekong and wonder how I'll pull myself away from Paradise.
    There are a few problems here like Dengue Fever, which comes from infected mosqitoes. Preventatives like staying away from water filled areas during dusk and dawn, wearing long sleeves and pants, and sleeping with netting in a screened in room. The situuation has improved since the flooding has decreased and dry season is here. I have heard that Chiangmai has suffered more than this NE area
     Burma elections are over. Violence and deaths took place in the northern area, Mae Sot, border town. In July Burma closed the border crearing hardships for both the Thai and Burmese.  At election time the Karin of Burma occupied a Burmese guard station and thus began another period of violence.  Burmese were killed and many had to flee to Thailand in order to avoid the conflict. How sad.
   It is hard to imagine such tragedy sitting here in such tranquility on the banks of the Mekong.  We are so close that I can even hear the dogs on the Lao bang barking. I wonder if the Thai dogs understand them?
     Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment