Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A FIBER ARTIST'S INSPIRATION

Artist Self Portrait  
 



Spring Flowers Vest Detail


  The sweet softness of flannel is one my first childhood memories.  When I was old enough to hold scissors, I was amazed with the results of cutting little pieces of fabric, sewing them together and seeing a doll's jacket emerge.  Unbelievable!   Ever since then,  the touch, color, smell, diversity, and potential of fabric has been my companion and source of inspiration.


     Growing up in an agricultural community, I was fortunate to have an excellent 4-H sewing program guide my sewing interests as well as a most supportive mother.  An exchange program to Guatemala brought a dynamic change to my fiber concepts when I explored the equisite weaving and embroidery as well as the Peace Corps years working in the Atacama desert of Chile with the Aymara spinners and weavers.


     Living in Egypt for three years provided a convenient way to explore Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cultures and fabric.  My husband's economic development work in Yemen, China, Jordan, and Sudan opened the door to more cultures and textiles. 


     Returning to the states and during my years of teaching History and Spanish, I discovered that the textile fragments I had collected were a vibrant cultural resource in all classes.  During the teaching years I was invited to participate in cultural and textile study programs in Bolivia, Guatemala and Pakistan.


     Another incredible source of energy and creativity has been my friend and mentor, Ann Bowker.  I have so adored the beautiful wearables that she has made and have been thrilled to study techniques and style together.  


     Now I have time to be in my studio inspired by the beautiful Antonio Aguas Calientes weaving, embroidered designs of the Shidong and Dong of Guizhou, China, shibori fabric and ikat dyeing from many continents.   Design ideas and techniques fly through my head as I incorporate these fabrics into my own contemporary wearable garbs.  My goal is to honor the  incredible work of these passionate and talented artisans.




Shidong Artisan in Ceremonial Dress

Details of Shidong Outfit

Sharing Fiber Techniques

Difficult Lesson!





















   Today these art garments have been displayed in community, college, and private art galleries as well as the Yakima Museum.   I also enjoy giving classes and cultural/textile oriented programs in our region.  




     Do I sell the pieces that I make?  Yes, I do sell my art garments. All the purchase money goes directly to non-profit organizations in our valley that provide educational opportunities for our people.




Yi Inspired Jacket and Vest
 Jacket Sleeve Detail
  



Sally's Shibori
 Front Detail/ Sally's Shibori






Japanese Inspired Shibori Jacket




Getting Started Creating the Dong Jacket

Jacket with Dong Embroidery
(Named for the Dong of SW China)

Dong Jacket 









 Vest of Rajasthan Cotton


Lining of Rajasthan Jacket



X-Press Yourself Jacket












 Sleeve of X-Press Yourself 











    








X-Press Yourself Jacket
(Viewers did the artwork) 









Plastique
Made from Plastic Bags



     Hope you enjoyed the fiber journey.  



No comments:

Post a Comment