Friday, April 22, 2011

Making a Vest from Thai-Dam Handwoven Fabric

The Woven Thai Dam Fabric
My Inspiration


     It is always the fabric that inspires me to want to create something wearable in order to share such a beautiful weaving or embroidery.  Looking at the complexity of the weaving designs and techniques that are exhibited in this Thai work sets me on fire.  The indigo blue ikat ( threads dyed before being put on the loom) and then the brocaded design above it (which demands extra heddles or yarn holders) thrills me so much that I am set into motion planning a way to show such a piece of art.

     The first step I usually take in a project is to gather all the coordinating fabrics, threads, buttons, and other embellishment possibilities.
     Next I decide on what kind of item I want to make:   blouse, skirt, jacket, vest, hat, coat etc....  That choice is often influenced by the amount and nature of the fabric.
     At this point I begin conceptualizing the piece in my mind and also in my fabric journal.  (It's always fun to compare the original drawing with the finished product.)
     Now I am ready to look for a pattern to use as a guide and make my own copy of the pattern.
     With the pattern pieces ready, I proceed with the layout on the fabric and cut the first pieces.
     Then I continue with a squence of steps that allow me to embellish and sew the many pieces into a final creation.  That is where the great fun begins.
     The following pix are views of the process with results.  As you notice, the fabric weaving serves as the focal point.  Embellishment details and other elements are minimal.

     I hope that my husband is happy with his special vest called THAI DAM (for the weaver, of course). The basic pattern pieces (modified) come from the Folkwear Pattern #501, the Algerian Suit.
    


Selecting Other Fabrics and  Embellishment

The Finished Vest  Front



Vest Side Back 











Lining Design




Vest Label in Lining



LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR CREATIONS.  HAPPY SEWING TO YOU ALL   GOOD BYE  FOR NOW


No comments:

Post a Comment